I used to be a tattoo virgin.

on Monday, July 21, 2008

I'm glad I'm not anymore :P I've been drooling over, researching and planning for my tattoos since before I can remember. I have always been drawn to them, and now I finally have one.
On Saturday night, I got my first tattoo done by Erin of Addictive Ink. (Edson, AB) She was great and patient with me. In total, this took somewhere around 1.5 hours to complete.

It was one heck of an experience, to say the least.
Some myths have been dispelled for me, personally. The outline does NOT hurt the most. I actually had to laugh at how much it did not hurt and how scared I had been over this.
The colouring was the most painful part, because the needles goes over the same area over and over and over again. This was also the longest part for me.
I did not go numb as the work continued, just increasingly sensitive. Maybe I was just unfortunate.
I bled a fair bit, but I had expected that. I bleed very easily (tell that to any doctor who's tried to take my blood and they'd laugh at you :P Rolly veins.)
I did experience a little bit of shock afterwards - I was shivering and cold for a while, despite multiple coats being on. That, and the majority of my soreness, was gone within an hour after.
Now, two days later, I rarely feel pain, unless I raise my arm above my head. I think this is due to the skin tightness caused by the wound.

It is a swallow, to encourage me to travel the world - something I've always dreamed about.
I have at least two other (rather large) tattoos planned, though I think I'll wait a little while to get another. At least until the memory of the pain fades :P (Like having babies, right? lol)

I am entirely pleased with my tattoo. It hurt a LOT, I won't lie, but now I have a beautiful piece of art right on my body. Completely worth it. I smile every time I look at it. Here is my finished piece the morning after.

2 whispers:

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful tattoo!

Ashley said...

Why thank you, Anonymous :)